I don't know why it took me forever to write this, but I've been throwing ideas around in my head on what to say about Whole30. I would feel like a liar if I didn't tell you that we took a week off of living Whole since I was out of town interviewing. Nevertheless, we are trying to get back on track this week! So what is so good about Whole30, and what did we experience personally? Well, I said I had some personal goals/hopes/wants from Whole30 but I wasn't sure if I should share them over the internet. Well I'm going to now because since I've done the program 8 people have told me they are starting the program because I inspired them (emoji heart eyes here)! It made me feel realllllly good hearing that. I know it wasn't really me doing the inspiring, since I didn't create the program, but I'm happy that my 30 days has had a ripple effect! So here we go--
Personal Wins From Whole30:
1. have been struggling with hair loss since I was 18. The people who are closest to me know that it's been the most emotionally taxing on me the last 2 years or so. FOR THE LOVE, I'M ONLY 23! I don't want to be bald by 25. I would look around at all my friends and wonder how on earth they could grow these luscious locks and I'm barely using any heat on my hair and doing all the Pinterest treatments out there and trying bill zill other things to stop the shedding. I thought it was stress and then I thought it was hereditary (but both my parents have thick heads of hair so…). I just could not figure it out. When I let myself, I unleashed those insecurities and let them run wild with self-destructing thoughts. I hated swimming in front of people I didn't know, and always had my hair in a top knot to try to cover the loss if I went a single day without shampooing it. I refused to get my hair cut from a salon from ages 18-21 for fear of a hairstylist telling me what I already knew (your hair is falling out). It just didn't seem fair sometimes. I know, I know it totally sounds like first world problems, but we all have our insecurities, and this was mine.
Nevertheless when I started Whole30 I wanted to heal my body from the inside out. I decided this was the last attempt and I did not care how much weight I lost or didn't lose, I just wanted normal shedding. Not even re-growth, just a slowed rate of shedding. So, I followed the rules so strictly, taking DoTerra LLV, and Super Silica right along with my meals. Mind you, I've tried these things (to no avail) without eating Whole, so I guess you could say the food was my independent variable. On Day 30 I paid special attention as I combed through my hair. Very little shedding occurred. When I compared my last hair cut (the beginning of Sept.) to my hair length now (mid-october), I was pleasantly surprised to see it had grown about 3 inches! So there's my Whole30 win number 1.
2. No more afternoon slumps or food comas after each meal. Immediately following every single meal I ate before Whole30 I would just want to go lay in bed and veg out for a few hours. I was so sleepy from my food. In fact, I knew if I wasn't sleepy after eating I probably wasn't enjoying a very filling or tasty meal ;). But during Whole30 I loved driving home from work at 4 pm and not being in a daze. I was one of the few people in office not grabbing a huge diet coke or coffee so I could stay awake and finish my work.
3. An overall sense of self-control which translated to a sense of self-efficacy for being able to make healthy choices. I felt stronger every time I chose something healthy over something crappy (aka every second of everyday for 30 days!)
4. My wart on my toe disappeared. Gross, and weird, but a week after Whole30 I was rubbing my foot and lo and behold the skin was smooth. I was in SHOCK! I didn't even notice it shrinking during Whole30. This wart has been with me for a little over 5 years and I've tried freezing it off multiple times. I cannot believe there isn't a trace of that deeply rooted sucker left!
5. Weight loss! I lost 2 inches and 9.4 lbs. Trevor lost about 25 lbs and is down 1 pant size (woohoo!)
6. Zero menstrual cramps. These are always killer for me. I normally get really sick when it's that time, but I felt completely normal this go round.
7. Happier mood. In fact I had 3 people send me messages or text me out of the blue telling me how I happy I look in all my pictures lately! I thought that was so sweet for them to notice AND to tell me. I really am just less grumpy when eating Whole.
8. Trevors RLS (restless leg syndrome) completely disappeared. He called them "kicky legs" which is exactly what they were/ When he was asleep he would randomly kick me and his legs would be extremely jumpy for a few seconds at a time throughout the night. Sure enough after he had sugar again in his diet, he was kicky again.
9. Trevor doesn't snore anymore! I don't think this one has to do with the weight loss because he said he's snored his entire life--even when he weighed less. I think it had everything to do with the fact that he was just sleeping deeper in general without all the processed foods in his diet. I really appreciated this win from Whole30 :)
10. Finally--Whole30 taught me how to cook better in general. I have so many more recipes under my belt than ever before and I'm not intimidated by making things from scratch (aka chicken broth, mayo, beef stock, ranch dressing etc). There are just some things I don't think I'll ever buy again!
Here are some before and after pictures:
Feeling very vulnerable below! If you're gonna be judgmental or offended by my belly then exit the page now! ;) I wasn't sure if I wanted to post these because I would never show my stomach on any social media platform typically. I get that it's not modest to go around showing your stomach off. I did, however, ask Trev if he thought these were too inappropriate and he said no so there ya have it. Anyway, I know the results aren't "unbelievable", but I wanted to share because I think there is a little bit of a change going on.
Thanks to everyone for following us on our Whole30 journey! PS I forgot to take before pics of Trevor or else I would share them too--his changes are much more noticeable!